A majority of businesses are searching for the best email management software. But what can be the possible reasons?
We all know that as your company grows, emails can flood your inbox and cause a tsunami of problems. Important emails get missed, your team sends out multiple responses to a single email, conversations lack meaning. And amidst all this chaos, no real work gets done.
By investing in the right tool, you can manage your customer, sales, and internal emails with ease. Not just email, you can leverage more channels to communicate with customers, businesses, key stakeholders and improve internal collaboration.
So if you are struggling to stay on top of your emails, this blog is for you. You will explore the definition of email management software and discuss some must-have features. Most importantly, we will explore the 11 best email management tools that will help you reach inbox zero faster.
Let’s get started!
Email Management Software Feature & Price Table
|ProProfs Help Desk||Round-robin assignment
Self-service knowledge base
Measure customer satisfaction
Automated email surveys
|Forever free plan
|Hiver||Distribute workload equally
Create custom reports
Organize emails with tags
Connect with other tools
Leverage mobile apps
|Help Scout||Automate workflows
Advanced search capabilities
Capture customer feedback
Create a knowledge base
Company: Price available on request
|Mailbird||Dark and Lite theme
Intuitive keyboard shortcuts
Mailbird contacts manager
Connect with social media apps
|Mailbird Personal: $2.28/month
Mailbird Business: $3.44/month
|Zoho Mail||Review emails before sharing
Organize email attachments
Advanced search feature
Create email signatures
|Mail Lite: $1/user/month
Mail Premium: $4/user/month
Workplace: Starts from $3/user/month
|Gmail||Custom email accounts
Connect using Google Meet or Chat
Get grammar suggestions
Block spam emails
Unlimited cloud storage
|Business Starter: $6/user/month
Business Standard: $12/user/month
Business Plus: $18/user/month
Enterprise: Available on request
|Front||One unified inbox
Effortless internal collaboration
Create routing rules
Get email reminders
Rich reports & insights
Enterprise: Available on request
Analyze conversation trends
Facebook and Twitter integrations
SEO-friendly knowledge base
Canned email replies
|Helpwise||Assign emails and chats
Chat with team members
Give email access
Leverage mobile apps
Enterprise: Available on request
|LiveAgent||Monitor social media interactions
Receive email notifications
Automated spam filtering
Forward incoming emails
|"Free: Forever free plan
Ticket + Chat: $29/agent/month
|HubSpot Marketing Hub||Team email
Drag and drop builder
Sync to CRM
|Free - Forever Free Plan
Starter - From $45/month
Professional - From $800/month
Enterprise - From $3200/month
What is Email Management Software?
Email management software can be used by professionals to organize, prioritize, and respond to a vast quantity of customer, business, or internal emails. You can track the progress of every email from the moment it is received in your inbox to the time an appropriate response is shared with the concerned individual or group.
According to a McKinsey study, the average worker spends nearly 28% of their workweek on emails which amount to more than 11 hours every week. Considering the time lost in managing work emails, the right tool can help you track every conversation, enhance internal collaboration, and improve your email response times.
What Are the Top Email Management Software Features?
While there are many tools available in the market that claim they are the best, it is important to know what features you need to look for. Here are five important features every email management tool should have:
1. Shared Inbox
There are group email accounts that need to be accessed by multiple members of a team. A shared inbox unlike a personal inbox can be used by multiple users to read and send email messages.
Email ticketing systems offer the shared inboxes feature using which you can manage multiple shared email accounts under a single roof. You can grant team members access to shared inboxes such as support@, info@, sales@, returns@, admin@, accounts@, etc.
Now imagine you have a customer support team of 15 members. Instead of waiting for a user to log out, all fifteen agents can access the account “firstname.lastname@example.org” simultaneously and resolve customer queries together. They can even leave internal notes or comments for other team members, prioritize emails, escalate tickets, and a lot more.
2. Canned Responses
A lot of emails that your team receives are similar in nature and demand a similar response. Now, typing the same response over and over will not only hamper your productivity but also prevent you from focusing on important tasks.
The best email management tools come with a feature known as canned responses. These are saved email replies that can be used to quickly respond to emails. Keeping canned responses handy for different situations can save time and reduce efforts.
Here is an example of a template for sharing order confirmation email:
Many tools come with pre-designed canned responses that you can directly pick while replying to emails. However, you can always create your own from scratch and tweak them to add important details such as the name of the customer, appropriate salutation, order ID, customer ID, etc.
3. Collision Detection
When you have to manage hundreds of emails every day, email disasters can occur quite often. Once such disaster happens when you share multiple responses to a single email. This can lead to an embarrassing situation and make your business appear less professional.
Collision detection is an important email management feature that can alert users who are viewing or responding to the same email. Such real-time alerts can prove to be lifesavers for your business and prevent team members from stepping on each other’s toes.
This small feature can have a big impact on how your team operates. It brings transparency to your process and helps multiple departments collaborate with ease.
To take your company’s email management to the next level, you need the right data available whenever you need it. This will help you see how many emails are lying unattended, the amount of time taken by your team to send responses, and much more.
Here are some important email management metrics you need to measure:
- Response Time: Email response time refers to the average time taken by your team to respond to an email. You must look to keep the response time as low as possible because a lower response time means your team is quickly replying to emails.
- Email Backlog: The best email management software allows you to see how many pending emails you have. A vast email backlog can frustrate customers or business partners who are eagerly waiting for a reply and hamper their experience with your brand.
- Agent Performance: If your business receives a lot of customer emails, you would want to know how well your agents are performing. With the right email management tool, you can share automated surveys with customers and allow them to rate their interactions.
5. Integrations or Add Ons
Modern teams use multiple tools to manage their day-to-day tasks, automate workflows, and collaborate across departments. These tools should sync with each other for a hassle-free work experience.
Email management tools are not standalone systems that can only help you with emails. In fact, the right tools can integrate easily with your existing business software and prevent your team from juggling between multiple tools.
For instance, to help your team collaborate, some email management systems can integrate with internal collaboration tools such as Slack, Asana, or ProProfs Project. Similarly, many even offer live chat or knowledge base integration to help your business communicate on other popular channels.
In simple terms, the right integration options can turn your email management software into a communication powerhouse.
11 Best Email Management Software
After exploring the features, it is clear that the right email tool can make everyone’s life much easier. Let’s look at the ten best email management tools that can help you manage your emails like a pro.
ProProfs Help Desk is one of the best email management solutions that offer a shared inbox that has a Gmail-like clean and user-friendly interface. As soon as you log in, you can access all your shared inboxes such as support@, inquiry@, sales@, team@, etc. from the left corner of the dashboard.
As a free email management software, ProProfs Help Desk helps you create professional email signatures that include designation, contact number, and useful links to your website. Team members can collaborate with private notes, prioritize urgent emails, and search for the right conversation using the advanced search feature. With the live chat and knowledge base integration, you can further streamline your business communications.
Top Features of ProProfs Help Desk:
- Use round-robin assignment to automatically route emails to team members
- Reduce emails and phone calls by creating a dedicated self-service knowledge base
- Capture average response times, customer satisfaction, and agent performance
- Develop chatbots to assist customers 24×7 with their basic queries
- Share automated email surveys with customers to capture their valuable feedback
ProProfs Help Desk Plans Include:
Free: Forever free plan
Hiver is a popular Gmail-based help desk solution that helps you manage customer conversations right from the world’s most-used email client – Gmail. The tool helps your customer service agents easily access, assign, track, and respond to emails based on your shared customer service account.
As an email management solution, Hiver ensures complete accountability of customer emails. Every email that arrives in your inbox has a clear status and ownership which ensures your team members know exactly what they need to work on. Agents can easily collaborate on support emails by adding notes that are only visible to team members. Such notes can be used to discuss complex issues or simply to provide future context.
Top Features of Hiver:
- Distribute workload equally using the round-robin assignment feature
- Create custom reports to measure customer service metrics specific to your business
- Organize and filter customer emails by assigning tags to them
- Connect Hiver with other tools such as Slack and Zapier
- Respond to customers on-the-go with Hiver’s iOS and Android mobile apps
Hiver Plans Include:
HelpScout is another important email management system that helps you manage your support requests in a shared inbox and leverage all the collaboration features your team needs. For instance, your agents can send private notes with @mentions, create email templates, and avoid collision by seeing if someone else is replying to a ticket.
HelpScout offers your team useful customer context and information right in the sidebar. For instance, agents can view customer contact information, ticket history, and their other crucial activities. Another unique aspect of this tool is that you get 75+ keyboard shortcuts that can help agents work more quickly.
Top Features of HelpScout:
- Tag customer conversations to automate workflows and keep your inbox organized
- Find exactly what you need with advanced search capabilities
- Receive notifications in your email inbox, browser, and mobile device
- Capture customer feedback and satisfaction ratings to improve your process
- Create a knowledge base designed for customer self-service
HelpScout Plans Include:
Company: Price available on request
Mailbird is an email client for Windows that helps your team manage all your emails and contacts easily in one unified Inbox. The tool offers great customization options and helps you choose from tons of free color themes. This way you can rise above a boring interface and adjust how your email inboxes look and feel.
Mailbird offers some of the best integration options that can help your team become more productive. For instance, you can connect the tool with apps such as Facebook, Twitter, Evernote, Dropbox, Google calendar, and more.
Top Features of Mailbird:
- Switch between the Dark or Lite theme depending on your mood or time of the day
- Leverage intuitive keyboard shortcuts for replying, forwarding, and other email activities
- Manage your dashboard in over 17+ languages
- Unify your contacts in the best way possible using Mailbird’s contacts manager
- Integrate with social media apps such as WeChat, Facebook, and Twitter
Mailbird Plans Include:
Mailbird Personal: $2.28/month (3 devices per license)
Mailbird Business: $3.44/month or pay $99.75 once (3 devices per license)
5. Zoho Mail
Zoho Mail is a popular ad-free email management service that helps you manage your business emails with ease. With the Tasks module of Zoho Mail, you can break down your daily work into manageable tasks. Moreover, you can even easily draft emails and schedule them to be sent at the right time.
Whether you deal with customers or other businesses, Zoho mail helps your business stay professional. For instance, you can create a domain for your business and set up custom email addresses for different team members such as ‘Jake@business.com’. Such email accounts give unique visibility and authenticity to your business.
Top Features of Zoho Mail:
- Share email drafts with team members to get your email reviewed before you send it
- Organize all your email attachments in one place
- With Zoho Mail’s advanced search feature find any important conversation easily
- Create email signatures that include your company’s logo and links to your website
- Offer secure access to email accounts and protect data with two-factor authentication
Zoho Mail Plans Include:
Mail Lite: $1/user/month (5GB per user)
Mail Premium: $4/user/month
Workplace: Starts from $3/user/month
Gmail is undoubtedly one of the most popular email clients that allow users to access their personal as well as business email accounts on any device – desktop, laptop, or mobile. With the help of its neat design, users can see new messages or notifications at a glance and decide what they wish to read and respond to.
Gmail consistently shares nudges that remind users to follow up and respond to pending emails. This ensures that no important email can slip through the cracks. In addition to this, the tool automatically blocks around 99.9% of emails that can pose a threat to your business data, privacy, or system.
Top Features of Gmail:
- Get custom @yourcompany email accounts for your employees and win customer trust
- Connect with coworkers anytime, anywhere using Google Meet or Google Chat
- Get grammar suggestions as you compose your emails
- Block spam or suspicious emails that can cause harm to your data
- You can enjoy anywhere from 30GB to unlimited cloud storage
Gmail (Google Workspace) Plans Include:
Business Starter: $6/user/month (30 GB cloud storage/user)
Business Standard: $12/user/month (2TB cloud storage/user)
Business Plus: $18/user/month (5TB cloud storage/user)
Enterprise: You need to contact them for pricing (Unlimited storage)
Front is another intuitive email organization software that allows businesses from across the globe to offer tailor-made services at scale. The tool offers the simplicity of an email interface along with powerful automation and insights of a CRM. It can also be integrated with some popular business applications ranging from Github to Salesforce
With Front, employees belonging to different teams can easily work together. They can collaborate effortlessly, share faster responses, and keep all email conversations well organized. So whether you have a team of 5 members or 500, you can use this tool to hold personalized interactions at scale.
Top Features of Front:
- Consolidate messages from email and social media into one unified inbox
- Agents can collaborate with each other without impacting each other’s work
- Create rules to automatically route emails to relevant members of your team
- Set reminders and ensure follow-ups are always met
- Get insights into important activities and spot areas to improve the customer experience
Front Plans Include:
Starter: $10/month (Up to 10 team members)
Prime: $49/month (Up to 50 team members)
Enterprise: Pricing details available on request
Groove is a leading customer service email management software that allows you to manage conversations on multiple channels. In addition to email, you can talk to customers via chat, phone, social media, etc., and deliver a personalized experience. Moreover, you can even create a self-service knowledge base that helps customers find the right answers 24×7.
When it comes to valuable insights and reports, Groove does not lag behind. You can capture metrics such as resolution time, customer satisfaction (CSAT), and measure agent performance from time to time. Moreover, easy integrations with social media and business apps such Facebook, Twitter, Slack, Shopify, etc. make this a complete tool.
Top Features of Groove:
- Organize, prioritize, and solve customer problems from an intuitive dashboard
- Analyze conversation trends to build a better customer experience
- Enhance social media conversations with Facebook and Twitter integrations
- Create an SEO-friendly knowledge base and use customizable themes to match your brand
- Create canned email replies and respond to customers in minutes
Groove Plans Include:
Company: For pricing details, you need to make a request on their website
Helpwise is another noteworthy shared inbox software that helps you manage all your customer communications in one place. With shared inboxes for email, WhatsApp, chat, and social media, you can easily collaborate across your organization. You can even install the live chat widget on your website to assist customers and convert prospects into buying customers.
Rather than communicating with team members using messy emails, your agents can tag, assign, or chat with teammates using the shared inbox. You can even make the most of reports and analytics on your email frequency, response rates, and other important metrics.
Top Features of Helpwise:
- Assign emails and chats to relevant owners or decision-makers
- Chat and interact with team members within email threads
- Give email access to different team members so that there is no need to forward emails
- Get notified when someone else is replying or viewing an email thread
- Easily access your team emails from the web app or mobile apps
Helpwise Plans Include:
Enterprise: You need to make a request on their website (minimum 100 users)
10. Live Agent
LiveAgent is a free email management software that helps you gain control over your customer service emails. In addition to email, you can use its live chat widget to enhance customer engagement and make it easier for them to buy from your brand. You can even invite customers to chat depending on the time they have spent on your website.
With LiveAgent, you can create ready-to-use email templates for both your customers as well as agents. Moreover, users can use the drag and drop feature to add attachments such as images, music, video, documents, etc. to emails. LiveAgent even allows you to add an online ticket history link to emails that you share with customers.
Top Features of LiveAgent:
- Capture customer interactions from multiple social media platforms and organize them in one place
- Automatically receive email notifications when a new ticket is created
- Avoid spam emails with the help of the automated spam filtering feature
- Forward incoming emails to your help desk inbox
- Leverage reports for monitoring your team’s productivity and performance
LiveAgent Plans Include:
Free: Forever free plan with limitations
Ticket + Chat: $29/agent/month
Read More: Top 10 LiveAgent Alternatives for 2022
HubSpot offers a host of email tools in their comprehensive Marketing Hub software. This option covers almost every aspect of email management, from creating gorgeous, on-brand newsletters, to tracking your open rates and A/B testing different designs. Marketing Hub tracks and analyzes each email, empowering you to see what customers engage with and where they click the most.
Marketing Hub lets your team share an inbox, segment your email lists, and set up automated email responses based on how users interact with your website. Besides the email tools, their Marketing Hub also includes bots, live chat, forms, and CRM integration. You can easily automate list building and optimize your marketing efforts.
Top Features of HubSpot Marketing Hub:
- A fully customizable drag and drop email builder
- Email performance tracking, including CTR analysis and A/B testing
- Segmented email lists to send more personalized outreach
- Integrate with HubSpot’s CRM and over 800 other third-party apps
- Shared inboxes and team emails that can create tickets and track customer interactions
HubSpot Marketing Hub Plans Include:Free: Forever Free Plan
Starter: Starting at $45/month
Professional: Starting at $800/month
Enterprise: Starting at $3200/month
Email Management Software Comparison Table
|Software||Price||Forever Free Plan||Shared Inbox||Multi-Channel Communication||Alerts & Escalations||Live Chat||Self-Service Portal||IT Ticketing|
|ProProfs Help Desk||$10/month||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
Reach Inbox Zero Faster With the Best Email Management Software
When you have just started your business, new emails can excite you. But the situation can soon turn into a nightmare when you have more on your plate than you can chew. With the best email management tool, you can enhance internal communication, collaboration, and improve your email support.
While choosing email management software, look for features such as shared inbox, canned responses, collision detection, and smart reporting capabilities. It is also important to ensure the software can integrate with your existing business tools for a well-streamlined process.
All the tools mentioned in this blog have been handpicked after considerable research. If you are looking for a tool to manage customer service emails, you can go with ProProfs Help Desk. However, if you need a tool to simply manage your business or internal emails then Mailbird can be a good option.
Do you want a free Help Desk?
We have the #1 Online Help Desk Software for delightful customer support