Right from daily-use office printers to complicated IT servers – modern organizations are heavily dependent on IT services.
No wonder a majority of businesses are adopting ITSM solutions to build and maintain a strong IT ecosystem, enhance employee productivity, reduce IT risks, and improve the end-user experience.
But here comes a challenge.
A single Google search of the “best ITSM software” can give you thousands of results. In such a scenario, how do you find the tool that can perfectly match your needs?
Well, don’t worry as we have done the heavy lifting for you. After rigorous research, we have handpicked the top 11 ITSM tools that will make your life much easier. In this blog, we will discuss 11 such tools and explore their top features as well as prices.
What Is IT Service Management?
Information technology service management or ITSM refers to all the activities that are performed by an organization to design, update, control, and deliver IT services that are offered to end-users.
Although many people think that ITSM is just about resolving IT support issues or requests. However, in reality, ITSM goes way beyond that and helps your team manage the complete lifecycle of IT services – right from supervising the IT assets owned by an organization to initiating changes needed for faster technological adoption.
Now, to enjoy the fruits of ITSM, you need ITSM software. But how do you choose the right ITSM tool for your team? Well, the section below lists some important features that your business must consider.
Key ITSM Features: What Should You Look For?
Like any other business application, an ITSM solution must be easy-to-use and affordable. But somehow that is not enough. Let’s look at the 5 core ITSM features that you need to look out for:
1. Cloud Hosting
IT support professionals are always in the frontline dealing with numerous issues and requests. In such a scenario, a cloud-hosted ITSM solution allows them to be more flexible whether they work from the office or at home.
Besides any time, anywhere access, cloud-hosting offers multiple benefits. Your business can maximize data security, scale your business operations effortlessly, and deal with urgent problems more dynamically.
On the other hand, open-source or self-hosted ITSM solutions might require you to deploy a separate team for hardware maintenance and software upgrades. Even if something goes wrong, getting reliable support from the software vendor or community can be a big challenge.
2. Knowledge Management
knowledge management refers to the ITSM capability to create, publish, document, and share information with users when they need them. Giving your users access to a vast pool of knowledge is considered one of the key ITSM best practices.
The best ITSM tools allow you to create an internal knowledge base for employees. Members from different departments such as HR, Accounts, Legal, etc. can easily find answers to their IT-related queries. Proper knowledge management allows your business to encourage self-service, deflect support tickets, and focus on incidents or requests that are more critical in nature.
3. Incident Management
IT incidents such as server downtime can have a disastrous impact on business operations. It can not only hamper team productivity but also lead to monetary losses.
According to a Gartner report, the average cost of IT downtime is $5,600/minute, which can extrapolate to well over $300K/hour.
ITSM software enables an IT support team to swiftly manage both incidents as well as service requests. You can search for past incidents, track ongoing incidents, and predict future ones based on analytics. This prepares your team to handle incidents with ease and reduce their possible impact on the business.
4. Automation Capabilities
When we talk about ITSM technologies, workflow automation is in great demand. Automation capabilities can help you speed up your incident management, asset management, and other workflows. This helps your team rise above repetitive and time-consuming tasks and gives them more time to focus on serious issues.
For example, modern service management tools offer AI-powered chatbots that can interact with IT end-users and resolve their basic concerns. Chatbots can also be used to direct users to relevant teams or agents. Similarly, some tools allow you to share automated surveys with employees or customers and collect their valuable feedback.
5. Reports & Metrics
Reports and analytics help you gain much-needed visibility into your IT performance and see what can be improved during the course of time. The best ITSM software empowers managers with intuitive and actionable data.
You can track Service Desk metrics such as the total number of incidents, average response times, ticket volume by support channels, ticket backlogs, and more. You can even gauge user satisfaction from time to time and see how changes can further improve their experience
Above all, ITSM tools must allow your team to create useful reports using easy-to-understand graphics and advanced customization options.
11 Best ITSM Solutions You Need to Know in 2021
Finding the perfect ITSM solution for your team means scanning through hundreds of software comparison platforms, product websites, user reviews, etc. To make your job easier, we have curated a list of 11 tools that can enhance your IT service delivery:
ProProfs Help desk is one of the best ITSM tools that can capture IT issues and requests from multiple channels such as email, help center, live chat, web forms, and others. The best part is that ProProfs enables ITSM principles and processes without the typical ITSM tool complexity so that your business can get started in minutes.
To take your organization’s knowledge management to a whole different level, you can create an intuitive employee self-service portal. The portal can contain important employee handbooks, documentation, FAQs, guides, etc. to help them resolve issues at their own pace. Support managers can measure performance with the help of important metrics such as average response time, ticket volume, user satisfaction, rated tickets, and more.
Some Top Features of ProProfs Help Desk:
- Automatically route IT tickets and issues to relevant agents and teams
- Create an internal knowledge base for your employees and reduce ticket volume
- Share CSAT, NPS, and other feedback surveys with end-users
- Leverage AI-powered chatbots to assist users even when your team is unavailable
- Break complex IT support tickets into multiple child-tickets
ProProfs Help Desk Plans Include:
Free: Forever free with limited features.
Essentials: Starts at $10/agent/month
Premium: Starts at $15/agent/month
When it comes to ITSM ticketing systems, Zendesk has become a popular name among both small and large companies. Its powerful automation features help IT teams manage incidents, events, problems, and service requests from a single, intuitive dashboard.
With Zendesk, you can create a self-service employee knowledge base and free your team from password reset requests and other common IT problems. Moreover, you can align your reporting to ITIL best practices by capturing metrics such as first response time, ticket backlogs, and more.
Some Top Features of Zendesk:
- Manage all IT incidents, events, problems, and service requests
- Solve common user problems faster with canned responses called macros
- Keep track of phones, computers, monitors, and other IT assets
- Integrate with powerful IT tools like Oomnitza, Okta, OneLogin, Myndbend, and more
- Generate reports on incidents, problems, and change requests
Zendesk Plans Include:
Suite Team: $49/agent/month
Suite Growth: $79/agent/month
Suite Professional: $99/agent/month
TOPdesk is one of the popular ITSM ticketing tools that should be on your list. The tool makes your IT support effortless by acting as a single platform to manage all your user requests, IT assets, and workflows.
With its robust incident management features, you can keep track of all incoming requests, automatically assign tickets to specific agents, and share notifications through automated emails. Managers can easily view which assets their organization has, who are using them, and when they need replacement– all in one dashboard.
Some Top Features of TOPdesk:
- Track your IT team’s availability and workload
- Create a self-service portal to allow end-users to submit and track tickets and find relevant help content
- Schedule and manage all your IT projects effortlessly
- Apply barcodes on IT systems and scan them to automatically import the data into TOPdesk
- Support your customers in real-time with live chat
Plans: TOPdesk offers 3 plans: Essential, Engaged, and Excellent. For pricing details, you need to make a request on their website.
SysAid is one of the top IT service management tools with built-in remote control and advanced automation capabilities. The tool can help you support your remote IT support team even during these unprecedented times.
SysAid’s robust asset management feature can help your business view, secure, and manage your IT assets directly from within the service desk. Having reliable asset data at hand leads to better ticket management and faster issue resolution. In addition to this, you can run standard or custom reports to monitor incidents, service requests, problems, changes, IT assets, and more.
Some Top Features of SysAid:
- Remotely access your work desktops and data with the SysAid Remote Desktop feature
- Track your IT asset hardware and software inventory
- Boost team productivity with automated routing, escalation, and end-user notifications
- Create a dedicated knowledge base with how-to solutions for end-users
- Easily integrate with third-party software applications such as Salesforce, Google Apps, SAP, etc.
SysAid Pricing: For pricing details, you need to make a request on their website
As one of the best IT management software, Jira Service Management empowers multiple business departments, from IT to HR, to set a service desk and manage user queries. Your business can finally look to avoid the complexity of traditional ITSM solutions and deliver meaningful support experiences.
Jira Service Management empowers your employees to find answers to their basic questions using an internal self-service portal. Its knowledge base called Confluence can surface relevant articles to help employees get the solutions they need without any agent intervention.
Some Top Features of Jira Service Management:
- Track the complete lifecycle and ownership of assets
- Easily respond to, resolve, and continuously learn from incidents
- Resolve requests based on priorities and SLAs
- Use 300+ pre-built form templates to collect all the information you need about a request
- Access ITSM features on the movie with Jira’s mobile app for Android and iOS
Jira Service Management Plans Include:
Free: Forever free plan for up to 3 agents
SolarWinds offers a modern ITSM system to manage the delivery of IT services. With the help of this tool, you can create a service catalog that lists all IT-related services that can be performed for, by, or within your business.
To streamline work operations across various departments, you can create an employee service portal. All your employees can easily track the progress of their tickets and view the SLAs pertaining to their requests. Empower end-users to resolve issues by offering a knowledge base that contains important resources such as step-by-step help articles. FAQs, tutorials, and more.
Some Top Features of Solarwinds:
- Organize, manage, and prioritize incoming support tickets.
- Create a service catalog to standardize request and fulfillment processes
- Manage IT assets such as hardware, software, POs, and more
- Create a service portal for end-users to submit tickets and requests
- Address problems from anywhere and at any time with the SolarWinds mobile app
SolarWinds Plans Include:
BMC Helix ITSM is an industry-leading service management tool that uses intelligent automation to help your business adopt the various ITSM best practices and principles. Using this tool, you can increase efficiency and stability for all your IT infrastructure and services
BMC Helix ITSM takes user experience to a whole different level. Its popular persona-based UX can be optimized across devices and allows you to deliver personalized support experiences at scale. Moreover, with its proactive problem and incident management features, your team can find potential issues and resolve them to avoid impact on business operations.
Some Top Features of BMC Helix ITSM:
- Identify issues proactively and prioritize them based on business urgency
- Add robust multi-media content to your knowledge base for enhanced support
- Over 90 out-of-the-box reports to get insights quickly
- Identify asset purchasing opportunities
- Deliver users a consumer-like service catalog for easy access to IT services
BMC Helix ITSM Pricing: For pricing details, you need to contact their sales team.
Spiceworks is a free ITSM software that helps you keep tight control on IT incidents and tasks. With ticket collaboration features, agents can share tickets with their trusted peers and work on the ticket together.
You can create a user portal and customize it to help users help themselves. Your employees or customers can submit tickets, track the status of a ticket, and get the information they need within seconds. Moreover, IT support agents can discover the devices on your network automatically with the help of Spiceworks IP Scanner.
Some Top Features of Spiceworks:
- Allow users to share IT requests via email, phone, user portal, or mobile app
- Use ticket rules to auto-assign tickets to your experts
- Use custom fields to track additional information about tickets
- Provide multi-site support for your clients based in different locations
- Choose between cloud or self-hosted help desk based on your requirements
Spiceworks Plans Include: All Spiceworks plans are free of cost.
ServiceNow is another robust IT service management software that can help your team identify, track, resolve high-impact incidents, and improve agent efficiency. With this tool, you can automatically categorize and route issues to the correct resolution team using machine learning.
You can leverage Virtual Agent, an automated conversational chatbot, to resolve repetitive IT service tasks and requests. In addition to this, ServiceNow allows you to set business expectations right from the start and gain visibility into your IT team’s service commitments with Service Level Management.
Some Top Features of ServiceNow:
- Track and manage all vendors from a single dashboard
- Enable employee self-service for better experiences and lower costs
- Collaborate to investigate issues and restore service quickly
- Use performance analytics and reports to enhance accountability and make smarter decisions
- Leverage the mobile app to make it easier for employees to work from anywhere
Price: For pricing details, you need to make a request on their website or schedule a demo.
Freshservice is known for its robust ITSM service desk that offers features such as service catalog, incident management, asset management, knowledge base, and more. You can quickly deploy your service desk and develop enterprise-grade customizations without the need for any coding.
With Freshservice’s change management features, you can plan changes in a few clicks and allow leaders to approve and evaluate changes. The tool is also known for its simple yet impactful reporting features. For instance, managers can organize reports based on their potential impact, type, or department to easily track service desk performance, identify problems, and make informed decisions.
Some Top Features of Freshservice:
- Create a user-friendly service catalog for users to place requests in no time
- Start a conversation with your teammates from within a support ticket
- Keep track of all your IT and non-IT inventory in a single place
- Generate automated reports for incidents, changes, and assets
- Integrate with third-party apps such as Slack, Zoom, Dropbox, etc.
Freshservice Plans Include:
InvGate Service Desk stands apart with its visually appealing ticketing system and advanced reporting capabilities.
With InvGate, you can empower agents to provide better service with clear incident prioritization based on SLA, urgency, and department. It also features gamification, as well as a knowledge base to bolster the knowledge of IT support staff and improve the speed of issue resolution. A visual workflow designer allows you to define automated workflows to manage requests more efficiently.
Some top features of InvGate Service Desk:
- Centralize support for multiple departments such as IT, HR, Legal, and Facilities
- Create a customizable self-service portal for end-users
- Provide support directly from Microsoft Teams
- Integrate with InvGate’s IT Asset Management tool
- Can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud
InvGate Pricing: For pricing details, you need to make a request on their website.
Rise Above IT Challenges With the Best ITSM Software
As modern businesses shift and evolve rapidly, the need for strong IT service management (ITSM) has become paramount. Right from managing your IT assets to making long-term technological decisions, ITSM tools are revolutionizing how businesses operate.
While searching for the best ITSM tool, always look for standard features such as ease of usage, cloud hosting, incident management, asset management, and self-service portal. As a matter of fact, strong automation capabilities can help your team achieve more in less time.
If you are looking for an affordable yet feature-rich tool to manage your innumerous IT issues and requests, look no further. ProProfs IT help desk can help you capture and track all IT-related problems and equip your team with all the features they need to deliver delightful support experiences.
Do you want a free Help Desk?
We have the #1 Help Desk for delightful customer support starting at $0